TV Review Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

American Idol Top 5 Perform Songs Of Neil Diamond 4/29

American Idol Contestants Get Tutored By Neil Diamond
FOX Tuesday 8/7c 4/29/08

Tonight the American Idol contestants took on 2 songs by Neil Diamond. Good thing he has a huge library to chose from.

Here is how the night went:

Jason Castro led things off with "Forever In Blue Jeans". It was OK, I kept waiting for him to get really into it, but it just didn't happen. I am sure Jason will sail through to the finals or close with his huge fan base. Jason C.'s first song tonight was not my favorite.



All judging will wait until after the second song.

Next up was David Cook with "I'm Alive" and then "All I Really Need Is You". David C.'s first song was a Neil Diamond comparison, I think that he listened to the track too much. He tried and did sound just like Neil Diamond. It was alright for an imitation.



Brooke White led her set with "I'm A Believer" accompanied by herself on accoustic guitar. I'm not a believer Brooke, sorry.



So far it's kind of boring.

David Archuleta followed up with his first selection "Sweet Caroline", this should pick things up. It was really good. Neil Diamond said that David A. is a bit of a prodigy. Definitely the best of the night.



Syesha needed to follow big with "Hello Again" this should be interesting. Completely rearranged, Syesha did a wonderful job on this performance. This is absolutely what she needed to get out of Whitney mode, great performance.



Ryan Seacrest had the judges stop and critique at this point. Randy was impressed with David Cook, David Archuleta, and Syesha Mercado. Paula was completely lost. Simon told them all they better be glad they had 2 songs tonight because they all sucked.



Bringing us back to Jason Castro for his second song "September Morn". This song fit Jason's voice better, he seemed more in control. It was still pretty boring, Simon and Randy are going to be pissy with him.



Randy Jackson - "It was just OK"

Paula Abdul - "... you took the same liberty on both songs"

Simon Cowell - "... you struggled through both songs... you're going to look back at tonight and think 'I don't know who this person is'"

David Cook came out again with "All I Really Need Is You". It started boring, but got better. I just don't really like David C., but he is in tune usually. Should be safely in the Top 4 easily.



Randy - "... I'm a huge David Cook fan right now, cause you rocked the house tonight"

Paula - "... I feel like I'm already looking at the American Idol"

Simon - "... the first song was OK, the second song was brilliant... you made that song sound like it was released this year, that's what I'm talking about"

Brooke White played her piano to "I Am I Said". Weaving Arizona into the song (from where she hails), it still wasn't good. Simon called her first song a nightmare.



Randy - "... nice job"

Paula - "... this song showed your vulnerability, and that works"

Simon - "... this is the Brooke we like... it wasn't incredible, but it was a million times better than the first one"

David Archuleta came out with "America". Another great performance. The best of the night in my opinion.



Randy - "... alls I can say is you are in the zone"

Paula - "... great choices"

Simon - "... excellent song choice"

Syesha closed the show with "Thank The Lord For The Night Time". It was another strong performance for Syesha tonight. She put a blues spin on the song that really worked.

Randy - "... I like you in this"

Paula - "... that texture in your voice is magic"

Simon - "... you are a very good actress/singer... I think you may be in trouble tonight... because there are only 5 of you left"

Simon is right, Syesha has a poor fan base according to the last few weeks. The bottom 2 this week, based on performance, should be Jason Castro and Brooke White.
The actual bottom 2 will most likely be Syesha and Brooke. Hard to say how big the 'fan base' is at votefortheworst.com., they may be able to keep Brooke around to the Top 4. Do not vote at this site, please.



No comments:

Post a Comment