TV Review Pages

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Rock Week on AI Season 8 with Slash

Without a proper rehearsal, the American Idol Season 8 final four attacked 'Rock Week'. Ryan Seacrest explained a technical stage difficulty that interupted the rehearsals this after noon for the Idol show tonight.

But on with the show...

Slash from Guns-n-Roses fame was the rock mentor. A perfect choice for a rock mentor, though vocals may not be his first worry. Slash mentored from The Roxy, with his full new band.

Adam Lambert: "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin


Adam has been heard to have said he wants to perform the Led Zepplin classic on the Idol stage. He did not disappoint. Slash told Adam not to improvise in his high register so much and Adam heeded. It was an excellent start to the show and proved again why Adam Lambert should win.

Randy Jackson: "... you are a rock star tonight!"

Kara DioGuardi: "... the records you should be making is classic rock from the 70's, glam rock from the 80's"

Paula Abdul: "... whole lotta perfect"

Simon Cowell: ".... this could have been a total disaster... it was actually one of my favorite performances of yours... the problem is no one can top that."

Allison Iraheta: "Crybaby" by Janice Joplin


Allison is going for a more obscure song this week. It may play well for her since she has been accused of sounding karaoke at times. Slash really liked Allison, he just told her to gain some confidence. Allison looked good tonight, less Madonna. This was the perfect song choice for her and she did a great job with the band. I think this was the best I've seen from Allison Iraheta.

Randy Jackson: "...I did not love the song choice for you...I didn't love this..."

Kara DioGuardi: "...Janis is the right choice for you, but .... Piece of My Heart, maybe... I think that you transform when you get on that stage..."

Paula Abdul: "...I think you're down right fearless..."

Simon Cowell: "...the difference from where you were 8 weeks ago to where you are tonight is staggering... I would have chosen the Queen song..."

Allison told Simon that it was a Jefferson Airplane song she was torn between performing and he said he would have chosen it. Then Simon said, "Just beg, now"... Allison retorted, "You're always saying that I don't talk enough so maybe I should talk some more." Get him Allison!

Kris Allen and Danny Gokey: "Renegade" by Styx


This is a new format this year and I like it. The harmonies at the beginning were nice. The rock part suffered horribly. I really hope Dennis DeYoung is not watching.

Randy Jackson: "... I really like the harmonies..."

Kara DioGuardio: "... I think the sum of the parts was better..."

Paula Abdul: "...it was powerful..."

Simon Cowell:"... Danny you were better than Kris..."

Kris Allen: "Come Together" by The Beatles


Kris Allen borrowed one of Slash's guitars to practice with him... he said "I almost peed my pants..." with Slash playing next to him. This was actually a good choice for Kris. He does not have a rock voice, so he had to change it up a bit. Kris Allen is not even close to the best vocalist, but he does have a certain stage presence.

Randy Jackson: "... I like the vocals, but I loved how you were playing the guitar..."

Kara DioGuardi: "... you're definitely the softer side of rock, but for me it was not a great performance..."

Paula Abdul: ".... your signature is all over it.... it's what you do with the song..."

Simon Cowell: "... I actually didn't like it that much. It was like eating ice for lunch..."

Danny Gokey: "Dream On" by Aerosmith


OK, I never had the 'Danny Love'. I'm not hopeful of this performance, I think it is way out of Danny's range. Let's find out. Slash could not even advise him. This was bad from the first note. The end note does not even warrent typing.... please send Danny Gokey home tomorrow night.

Randy Jackson: ".... it was alright for me, but I'll give you A+ for effort..."

Kara DioGuardi:"...I don't see you on this type of song... I commend you for taking chances..."

Paula Abdul: "... I don't know if this was the right song for you..."

Simon Cowell: "... the last note was like watching a horror movie... like a scene from Friday the 13th, this scream... with Adam it worked, it doesn't work for you so much..."

Danny Gokey argued that he would have to go back and listen, but he didn't think it was that bad. Go back and listen Danny, you should be embarrassed.

Adam Lambert and Allison Iraheta: "Slow Ride" by Foghat


Now this pair looked like a couple of rockers on stage. Thier voices complimented each other well. Adam seemed to kind of lead Allison along and that was fine with her. It was a good performance.

Randy Jackson: "... that was the bomb, baby..."

Kara DioGuardi: ".... rock stars on the stage.."

Paula Abdul: "...it was a beautiful thing..."

Simon Cowell: "... in the battle of the duets, you won tonight... and actually Adam, you may have given this one [points at Allison Iraheta] a chance to stay in longer..."

And there you have 'Rock Week' on American Idol Season 8. The only real train wreck was Danny Gokey. Twice tonight he failed on the AI stage, but he probably won't pay for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment