TV Review Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

AGT 2010: Season Favorites Compete for a Second Chance

Howie was tweeting during the opening of the live show. Nick Cannon had to pull him away from his phone to start the show. Tonight was the final round of quarter finalists on AGT 2010. The judges brought back their favorites. Here is a run down on the night’s live events.

1. Kruti Dance Academy - dance group
The Bollywood group is back. I like this style of dance and can see it being a hit as a Vegas show. This group may deserve a shot at the semifinals. It was not a wow performance though. This was Piers Morgan's choice to bring back.

Howie Mandel: " ...I agree and disagree... is what you do "wowo"...I don't know that you rise to the level of this show now..."

Sharon Osbourne: "as a halfwit... I think now that America has become used to the Indian character...you could have the Kruti dance in like the river dance..."

Piers Morgan: "...well I think my decision has been completely vindicated [to bring them back], I didn't want to lose you in Vegas, I lost out to these two halfwits...as America has seen you have talent..."


2.Rudi Macaggi
Sharon's first choice (and mine) is this circus performer. Rudi said he may have actually been too scary last time and he may be right. Howie could not watch. Tonight's blindfolded backflip was dedicated to Howie. Piers buzzed it, it was not as good as last time.

Howie Mandel: "...I dont' know if this is as good...”

Sharon Osbourne: "...you timing is great...you took too long to get to the trick..."

Piers Morgan: "... I think it was a downgrade of danger I think..." To which Rudi replied, “Last time I did this trick I got 8 stitches in my head. Last time [on AGT} they told me I was too dangerous...it’s a little like telling a comedian ‘you are too funny, I don’t like you!’” Rudi Macaggi got it right. He can’t win for losing with AGT judges.

3. CJ Dippa - rapper
Howie Mandel brought back young CJ Dippa. I had a feeling someone would bring him back, he is good, but I think he may have needed that little fail. It was an annoying little rap this time. Not as good as last time and CJ Dippa actually admitted it at the end.

Howie Mandel: "... I don’t know that this performance was as polished as it could be...”

Sharon Osbourne: "... thank you very much for the shout out in the song... I think it’s your best song so far, really really catchy... I love the look, keep on doing what you’re doing...”

Piers Morgan: "... I think its very big of you to admit that and part of being a star is takign the bad performance like a man... I think it was too gimmick-y...”

4. RNG - young dance group
Shraon’s choice (we seem to be agreeing tonight on our favorite picks) is this girl hip hop group. I was glad wehn Future Funk went through, but wished RNG had made it too. I think nerves got to the girls tonight, their hits were not nearly as good as before. The had a cool ending though. No flips or tricks, as they said, they straight dance. Piers buzzed them.

Howie Mandel: "... you really are phenomenal...is that enough, I don’t think so, but you’re great...”

Sharon Osbourne: "...don’t you guys mess with my girls... I enjoyed the choreography and the attitude toward Howie...”

Piers Morgan: "...I am the actual honest judge.... my problem with you girls was I didn’t like the choreography...the attitude reminded me of Sharon...”
Sharon jumped in to say, “You are the judge that buzzes everybody else’s picks but your own!”
Piers replied that “as usual” his picks were the right picks to come back. Apparently he has forgotten he chose Doogie Horner to come back. Seriously Piers?

5. Harmonica Pierre - harmonica player
I like this guy, but I don’t think there is a chance in hell that he could win AGT 2010. Kind of a waste of a pick Piers. He said he brought him back because he is an amazing character. Um, I thought it was about talent. Howie buzzed before Harmonic Pierre even started (Literally!). That may have just been a joke, but we knew it would sound like Lady GaGa muzak, so better to buzz early.

Howie Mandel: "... I didn’t buzz you... I’m just angry because he’s been buzzing all my people and so Sharon and I said we would buzz together (turns to Sharon) you ditched me...I don’t know that this particular talent has a chance if America has to pay and vote...”

Sharon Osbourne: "... you were quite wonderful tonight... you really make me smile... are you a finalist in this competition, I don’t know... are you going to sell out stadiums? I don’t know, I don’t think so...” Piers tried to step in and say “he’s a world class musician”, but Sharon “lalala”-ed him into submission.

Piers Morgan: "... you came and took this show by storm tonight...”

6. Michael Grasso - magician
Sharon’s choice to come back, this magician tried to get through on cheesy card tricks in Vegas. Tonight he said he was bringing the danger. He did have a good trick and let the cameras go 360 degrees around the stage. Tonight was impressive.

Howie Mandel: "...that was the first act tonight that is up to this level of the show...”

Sharon Osbourne: "... thank you for not disappointing me...that was reallyl slick, your timing was impressive...”

Piers Morgan: "... you haven’t just performed a magic trick you have actually convinced me that Sharon actually knows talent... I think you’ve just thrown the competition wide open...”

7. Hot Shot Tap Dancers - dance group
I wanted this dancing family to continue earlier and I’m glad Howie brought them back for a second chance. The opening tonight was very cool. The actual routine was a little boring though... ok, it was very boring. Piers buzzed (sigh).

Howie Mandel: "... I love that you mix the classic tap with modern... and you kind of listened to me about having less story, and now it’s all dance.. I got a little bit bored...”

Sharon Osbourne: "... each time I see you I really enjoy what you do, but there is something missing... you dance as a team, one of you has got to step up and be the star...”

Piers Morgan: "... Howie’s right, it was boring... you got out of step with each other and it was a mess...”

8. Doogie Horner - comedian
Piers Morgan now finds Doogie funny. Good for Piers. It’s not that I don’t like Doogie Horner at all, it’s just that there are so many funnier comedians out there. He started by running around a ring of fire. “Every time a bell rings an angel gets it’s wings. Every time Piers uses his buzzer an angel gets told it sucks at playing the harp.” OK, he had a couple good lines.E

Howie Mandel: "... you applied the number one rule in comedy, you are in the moment...”

Sharon Osbourne: "... yes you are a very weird little man, but you are funny... no, you are...”

Piers Morgan: "... we’ve been on a bit of a journey with you... it was interesting to me that Howie did not you back...” Howine interjected to say, “That’s not true! I said, ‘let’s bring Doogie back’ and you said, ‘I already did’.” A conversation Sharon Osbourne confirmed.

9. Connor Doran - kite flyer
I’m glad Howie Mandel brought back Connor. I like his act and I think it is mesmerizing to watch. I don’t think Connor could handle a show in Vegas, but I would like to see some sort of big stage production with the kites.

Howie Mandel: "... need I say more? I don’t think so...”

Sharon Osbourne: "...you create magic...it was beautifully executed tonight...”

Piers Morgan: "... how does it feel...to do what you just did and bring the crowd like that? ...you said it brings out the kid in you and the truth is, you bring out teh kid in all of us...”

10. Anna & Patryk - child ballroom dancers
Piers Morgan brougt back his favorite junior dancers. These two are very good at ballroom dancing, it’s just hard for me to see since they are so small. Tonight was a salsa dance. Done better than most adult dance teachers. It just always creeps me out in that child-beauty-pagent kind of way. They got a standing ovation from Piers.

Howie Mandel: "... I still feel the same way...the art of ballroom dancing is about being seductive...watching 12 year old dance like that is a little creepy...” and to Piers who was moaning at him, “oh a perfect part at your house is a couple of 12 year olds dancing to harmonica music!”

Sharon Osbourne: "... it was really terrific... your coordination and timing... I’m glad you’re back...”

Piers Morgan: "... for me that was your best performance... I thought it was your night tonight Patryk... 12 years old and you are dancing at a level we’ve not seen on that show...brilliantly talented...”

11. Michael Lapari & Ashleigh Dejon - rope dancers
Another Sharon Osbourne pick to come back for a final chance. These two worry me, they had a near fall in Vegas.... and tonight appeared to have a devasting result. All the judges jumped as Ashleigh appeared to fall with a scream behind a prop. It was all part of the act and it worked great. It was very intense for a moment.

Howie Mandel: "... it was dangerous, it was edgy.... I was this close to thinking someone was throwing floss at me...”

Sharon Osbourne: "...how seductive was that... I thought it was edgy... I love it...”

Piers Morgan: "... I’m glad you’re not dead... that was a great trick... to me it went from a boring aerial act to a magic act...”

12. Swing Shift Sideshow - circus freaks
Oddly enough this gross little act was brought back by Howie Mandel. They were actually asked to Hollywood, but had to decline for personal reasons. IT stated boring and got a near immediate buzz from Piers. Remaining dreadfully slow with sword swallowing, Sharon buzzed them too...and then it was over.

Howie Mandel: "... this is what’s going on inside my head, you know that... you either hated it or loved it... I actually loved it....”

Sharon Osbourne: "...I appreciate it as an art form... it’s not for me...”

Piers Morgan: "... Howie brings back you three that are the creepiest... I think it’s creepy, no wonder you get on [ with Howie] like you do....”

That wraps up the AGT 2010 quarterfinals (I swear there will be no more quarterfinal contestants creeping out). The semifinals will start next week. Who do you want to join the others in the AGT 2010 semifinals? Leave a comment!

Copyright @ 2008 TV Review

No comments:

Post a Comment