TV Review Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

AGT 2010: First Night of Live Semifinals

Tonight is the first night for live semifinals on AGT 2010. Here is how the show went down and what the judges had to say.

1. Anna & Patryk: young dancers
Piers favorite mini dance couple said tonight we wouold see an angry Anna & Patryk. "To make myself angry, I think of Howie Mandel" said Patryk before the act. I am assuming it was supposed to be a Paso Doble from the anger comment. It was good, as usual, but I still think it's odd in that kid-beauty-pagaent way.

Howie Mandel: "...I'm glad I can inspire you , and I apologize if I have said mean things to you... and tonight you didn't creep me out.... there was no inappropriate touching... I think America will vote you through..."

Sharon Osbourne: "...perfection as usual... it was just fantastic..."

Piers Morgan: "...you two just behaved like stars... this is the serious business end of the show...you two are the most talented dancers this season bar none."

2.Christina & Ali: young singers
These are the singing sisters with cystic fybrosis. It's amazing they can sing at all with a lung disease. They have beautiful voices. Their harmonies were a little strained tonight at the beginning. I don't know if it was good enough for the finals of AGT.
Howie Mandel: "...I agree with Sharon, but at this stage of the competition the other acts are really going all out... I don’t know if that was good enough...”

Sharon Osbourne: "...I'm not going to say anything negative, I can't..."

Piers Morgan: "...it wasn't great, I'll be honest with you... every time I try and buzz you, you look back at me with those big eyes,. and she [Christina] hits the big not and I think ‘they got me again’...”

3. Antonio Restivo: danger/magic
I will be pleased if we get through this act without crying this time. Antonio crying, I mean. So far I think he’s been more smoke than fire. There was a lot of fire, as usual, and girls in leather. The trick itself was an escape the box. Still just smoke for me. Bonus! No crying this time!

Howie Mandel: "...it kinda makes me laugh a little... it’s campy, right?... “

Sharon Osbourne: "...when you were a kid, did you get in trouble for lighting things on fire...you are a pyromaniac aren’t you... I wonder what it’s like at your house when you bar-b-que...”

Piers Morgan: "...we always say where is the big magic showman, and I think it’s you Antonio...”

4. Future Funk: young dancers
This may be the cutest act I’ve ever seen on AGT. Don’t call me a hipocryt for not liking Anna & Patryk, these are totally different acts. Both have talent, and I don’t think either should really be in Vegas. Tonight the boys started with a rap, stepping it up a bit. They are truly talented dancers. Piers buzzed them as the five year old had trouble keeping up, but they kept right on dancing. The audience loved them. They aren't ready for a big dance show, yet.

Howie Mandel: "...how old are you? [5].... you are adorable...”

Sharon Osbourne: "... I actually forgot how young you both are... what you do is fantastic... I think you’re going to end up with your own little TV show...”

Piers Morgan: "...I realize I haven’t got the full support of the room here... if this was called ‘America’s Got Cute Dancers’ you would win... I was comparing you to Anna & Patryk...”

5. Taylor Matthews: adult singer
Taylor Matthews has been my favorite singer this season. Tonight playing piano instead of guitar, I think is the best I’ve ever heard from him. Taylor still looked scared to death, and I want to shave the Bieber haircut off his head, but he kept it together. I thought it was good.

Howie Mandel: "... at this level you have to ...wow us... I don’t think you did something tonight that people will be talking about tomorrow...”

Sharon Osbourne: "... I really enjoyed that performance Taylor, thank you... you did really good and I love the fact that you added the piano.. you’re very natural...”

Piers Morgan: "...you’re shaking like a leaf... tonight it was all very serious and intense... you’ve got to relax...you’re being restricted by nerves...”

6. Connor Doran: indoor kite flyer
I really like Connor Doran, and I hope he can put something big together for AGT. Again, I don’t think Vegas is the place for this guy though. I do think someone could make a great act for this, just maybe not for Connor. I’m glad he got the exposure though. Piers buzzed him.

Howie Mandel: "...it’s very ethereal... I don’t know that it goes with pop music...”

Sharon Osbourne: "...are you okay?... I thought you were fabulous... it was nice to shake it up a bit with this music...every time I see you I love you more and more...”

Piers Morgan: "... it’s all about song choice, this act... when it’s a normal sort of pop song, it loses something.. when it’s at it’s best, your act was magical...”

7. Dan Sperry: magician/illusionist
I liked Dan Sperry a lot more tonight after his intro interview. He’s a funny guy. He used Nick Cannon as part of the act, strapping him in with is arm exposed. It was extremely obvious it was a fake arm he was hacking through with a saw. It was a bad “trick”. Piers buzzed him.

Howie Mandel: "...you know that I’m this close to being a fan of yours, because of the floss... I love the character that you are, like a Tim Burton character...”

Sharon Osbourne: "...the bit I liked best was the robot lady....”

Piers Morgan: "...well if you had actually cut off his limbs I might have enjoyed it... wasn’t even trying to be convincing...” To make a bad trick worse, Dan Sperry tried to explain to Piers that magic is more than just being convincing. Um, yeah.

8. Kristina Young: adult singer
Kristina Young sounded very karaoke last time. I think she is made for stage shows. Not ready for Broadway yet, but a decent voice for a musical. It started out okay, and fell hard later.There were parts that were very, very flat. All three judges buzzed her and stopped her act before finishing.

Howie Mandel: "... that rendition of that song is almost comical.. it was kind of a cheesy funny rendition of a pop song...”

Sharon Osbourne: "...that version of ‘Poker Face’... and who wants to take on a Lady GaGa song at this stage... it was kind of like a Bob Fosse version.. it was really wrong...”

Piers Morgan: "...you took a gamble tonight and it didn’t work... life is full of people who don’t take a gamble... it didn’t work, but don’t give up...”

9. ArcAttack: danger
These guys need to bring it to make me a fan. They seem to just be putting rods in lightning to me. I get that it’s dangerous. It’s probably cool to see in person, it may not translate well on TV. I guess I just don’t get it. Tonight they added a girl, or should I say ghoul....

Howie Mandel: "...you do stun the judges.. what you do does not play on television.. I think it’s a little boring on television... “

Sharon Osbourne: "...you are a weird little group... sort of geeks and gooks...I do like the performance art... maybe build Frankenstein to go with the Mrs. here...”

Piers Morgan: "...you are such weird little freaks... there’s something about the act that is incredibly original... you’re one of the best ones we’ve had tonight...”

10. Michael Grimm: adult singer
This is the judges favorite of the singers. He was sick during rehearsal and met with a doctor. He had to be rehydrated with IV fluids to come on AGT tonight. Back in the fedora (yes!), he looked confident and calm. Michael Grimm brought it tonight. Maybe it was the fever, but he sounded great again.

Howie Mandel: "...we have been waiting all night for a moment, and I think you just had it...”

Sharon Osbourne: "...you have an amazingly soulful voice... tonight you engaged... next time we see you, which I know will be very soon, I want you to take it up...”
Piers Morgan: "... if that’s how you sound when you’re ill, you should be ill all the time... finally an act that really wants to win... you know exactly who you are...”

11. Ascendance: strength/aerial
Every performance has gotten better from this cool strength act. With four wall dancers again tonight, Ascendance didn’t wow me as much tonight. This is just such great timing with strength and is interesting to watch. Tonight was still perfectly timed but there was no real passion as there had been before. Piers buzzed them.

Howie Mandel: "...I think it’s because you upped the tempo...”

Sharon Osbourne: "... you know that I adore your originality, but tonight I didn’t like your music choice...
Piers Morgan: "... it was the same four as the last round... the music wasn’t as good.. I just wasn’t feeling it tonight...”

12. Prince Poppycock: opera singer
So glad the Prince got to close the show. I can never wait to see what Poppycock will show us next. Tonight we got free tickets to the world premiere of “Bohemian Rhapsody” starring Prince Poppycock. It was campy, but in a great way. Where do we buy tickets to the entire show? He got a standing ovation from all the judges.

Howie Mandel: "...I think he said it best when he said, ‘nothing really matters but you’...this is your night...”

Sharon Osbourne: "...I truly loved it...”

Piers Morgan: "...I didn’t think anyone could out-camp Freddy Mercury... you’re crackers aren’t you...”



Copyright @ 2008 TV Review

No comments:

Post a Comment