TV Review Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

AGT 2010: Top 10 Perform Live (Judge's Comments and Recap)

Jackie Evancho Live on AGT 2010 Top 10



With no judges choice left in the season, America now controls who wins America’s Got Talent. The judges were allowed to interact with the performers and we saw the clips in the opening. It was fun watching them finally get to tell each act what they really liked. For some reason Enrique Iglasias stopped by to lip sync his old song “I Like It”.

Getting on with the AGT 2010 competition and judges comments, here’s how it went tonight:

1. Studio One Young Beast Society - adult dance group
These dancers have been my favorite in the category since the beginning auditions. They did a great number for the opening live act. I think I liked the routine last week better though. Just my taste, this one was just as powerful with new moves.

Howie Mandel: “...absolutely phenomenal, you nailed it... I can honestly say, you are the best group so far tonight!”

Sharon Osbourne: “...as usual your passion, your ambition shows in your dance...you’ve really pushed yourselves...”

Piers Morgan: “...every time we see you it’s always bigger... you took a risk and it paid off big time...”

2. Christina & Ali - young singers
I don’t think Christina & Ali will win AGT... not even close. I’m not sure they should be in the top ten, but they aren’t bad. I think Piers is wrong, they were likely voted in due to their Cystic Fybrosis. Tonight was a more upbeat song, it did not help. I think this was the worst showing for the sisters. It seemed shout-y.

Howie Mandel: “... I also love you... you make us smile... the scary part for me is you have to compete against people

Sharon Osbourne: “I have to say, Christina your voice, I mean goodness me.. those notes... I love to see you moving...”

Piers Morgan: “I think you two have blossomed into entertainers... you’re not the most technically correct singers... you bring it with happiness...”
3. Jeremy Vanschoonhoven - danger/bike rider
I really like Jeremy and think he would succeed in Vegas with his level of stunts. He actually keeps me literally on the edge of my seat. It may not have looked as death-defying as last week, but that was only due to the confidence on Jeremy’s face. I still bounced with each jump, knowing I was giving him just enough power to get up to the next mark. Jeremy Vanschoonhoven is awesome!

Howie Mandel: “Wow! ...you hit every mark... it was incredibly scary... you spend half your time bedazzling your shirt...”

Sharon Osbourne: “...every time you perform my stomach is in knots... you get more and more confident... I love your skull and cross bones too, you’re quite sexy too!”

Piers Morgan: “..nobody is a crowd pleaser like you Jeremy....last week I would not have guessed you as a top four act....”

4. Taylor Matthews - adult singer
Taylor was one of my favorite singers, but his nerves and lack of sense of who he is is showing lately. I’m really glad he brought it back to accoustic with “Wonderful Wold”. Taylor even looked like he was enjoying himself. I enjoyed it, not sure it will be enough though.

Howie Mandel: “...you have to be comfortable, you have to own it... you’re great, you’re right there and I loved it...”

Sharon Osbourne: “... you find these songs that you wouldn’t think you could do and you rearrange them to suit you... you might not have the best voice, but you might be the best all around musician ....”

Piers Morgan: “...who chose the song...and decided on that arrangement...[I did]... that was your best by a mile...”

5. Anna & Patryk - young dancers
Things started rough as Anna slid down the steps after a missed step. The got it together like pros though. Anna seemed slightly off her game throughout, but Patryk came through big for them. Anna was visibly upset afterward.

Howie Mandel: “...don’t cry [ to Anna] you were wonderful...why are you crying...don’t feel bad, you were wonderful..”

Sharon Osbourne: “...the sign of a true professional... you picked right up ...it happens to everyone... I loved the choreography...”

Piers Morgan: “...well I know why you’re crying, cause you fell over....up you got, and I was willing you to get up... you carried on like nothing happened, and that is what being a star is all about...”

6. Fighting Gravity - dance group (?)
You know them you love them, I love them.... they are Fighting Gravity. I can’t wait to see what they will do next. With an homage to the moon landing...it started out cool as ever. It got a little slow and weird, but in the end I would pay for it.

Howie Mandel: “...wow, every time you up it... it’s amazing that you came up with this... and we’ve never seen it before...”

Sharon Osbourne: “Cirq du Soleil, Blue Man Group... I mean it’s going to happen I can see it already...Fighting Gravity right up there...”

Piers Morgan: “... every time you come back and surprise us... you’ve all taken a big risk with your lives.... “

7. Michael Grimm - adult singer
Michael Grimm is definitely the leader of the male singers on AGT. He will definitely get a recording deal out of it if he does not win. He has a big fan base and the voice to back it up, he just has a problem connecting with the audience (and looking like a winner). He chose a really boring song tonight (“Let’s Stay Together”)and did not do nearly as well as he has in the past.

Howie Mandel: “... you’re my favorite singer by far... you’re a star and you deserve to go all the way...”

Sharon Osbourne: “... I think the best thing you’ve done for yourself is get rid of the guitar... I can’t believe it... what a difference...”

Piers Morgan: “Another contestants that took a big gamble tonight... it was a brilliantly chosen song...perfectly executed...”

8. Michael Grasso - magician
Michael Grasso is nearly my least favorite act in the AGT finals. Again we were told of the three kidney transplants prior to his act. he put a new spin on th egirl in the box/swords through the box trick. I have to admit this was a pretty good trick. Not nearly as easy as the redirect last week.

Howie Mandel: “... I crown you the king of magic... how did you do it?... it’s killing me... “

Sharon Osbourne: “...I’m not even going to ask how the hell you keep doing this...but every week you step it up... America’s got a big task, 4 of you go through...”

Piers Morgan: “...Sharon said it for me...this is now an incredible competition and if you want your favorites to go through, you’ve gotta vote for them...”

9. Prince Poppycock - adult opera singer
Time to get down to business. Prince Poppycock is another act vying for the million dollar prize on AGT 2010. Tonight, he said, was Poppycock’s love to America. Singing the Star Spangled Banner, he came down from the ceiling with sparklers sparking. It was fun. I fear anyone watching the cheese and camp for the first time would be taken aback and think it were total crap. It was grand. I hope it was enough.

Howie Mandel: “... I don’t know if this is what the forefathers had in mind... you are a show... it’s amazing what is going on in your head.. there are no words...”

Sharon Osbourne: “... spectacle... you go from opera to Freddy Mercury to Star Spangled Banner... there’s no end to you Poppycock!”

Piers Morgan: “... imagine what it would be like to be trapped on a desert island with you... I could not have scripted a better contestant for Sharon...”
Prince Poppycock answered Piers’  desert island remark with, “I’d be like Andy Rooney and Judy Garland....let’s put on a show!”

10. Jackie Evancho - young opera singer
She made up her own word to describe the feeling of moving on to the finals, “fantabuloso”. Jackie Evancho is definitely leading on my scorecard for the AGT 2010 finals. She actually sounded even more confident and mature tonight.. I didn’t think that was possible. Outstanding.

Howie Mandel: “...did you ever swallow a grown up? cause it sounds like you did... there aren’t words to describe your singing... I can’t tell you how honored I am to be here on the night you sang for Piers...”

Sharon Osbourne: “...it was heavenly... I didn’t understand a word you were singing... it’s one of those performances that I will never ever forget...”

Piers Morgan: “I don’t know what to say... I’ve never seen a vocal performance like that on this show, I’ve rarely seen it ever... I will be known as the guys who helped discover Jackie Evancho....”

Now it’s all in America’s hands. The top four acts with the most votes will be named tomorrow night on NBC at 9/8c. Also a guest appearance by the cast of American Idiot and Sarah McLaughlin. My top picks for tonight: Fighting Gravity, Jackie Evancho, Jeremy Vanschoonhoven and ... this last one is tough. I would be happy with Studio One Young Beast Society or Prince Poppycock. I’ll be like the judges and leave that one up to you! Who are your AGT 2010 picks for the finals?


Copyright @ 2008 TV Review

No comments:

Post a Comment