TV Review Pages

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

American Idol - David Archuleta vs. David Cook 5/20/08

AI Season 7 Comes Down To A Battle Of Davids
David Archuleta vs. David Cook
FOX Tuesday 8/7c 5/20/08

Set up to be the boxing match of the millenium, complete with announcer and "Let's Get Ready To Rumble!"

In the red corner, weighing in at 185lbs : David "Sugarfoot" Cook
vs.
The blue corner, weighing in at 100lbs (soaking wet): David "Babycakes" Archuleta

The lines have been drawn, the camps have been set, time to chose a side and hold on. It's usually not about talent at this point, the fans have decided who they want. Though both of these AI finalists have a lot of talent, so for once there will be no loser.

Ryan Seacrest asked the two a few questions before starting. David Archuleta stumbled through an answer while Ryan turned to David Cook. Much love from both to each other.

The first song was chosen by Clive Davis. For David Cook it was I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For by U2. For David Archuleta, Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me by Elton John/Bernie Taupin. Clive Davis remarked, "Don't let my eyes go shut on me".

David Cook's performance was different, sort of.

Randy Jackson - "... it was hot baby!"

Paula Abdul - "... David Cook has arrived... Amen"

Simon Cowell - "... at the start of the show, you looked very tense... I thought it was phenomenal"



David Archuleta's performance was good. I was worried, but it was a great song choice. Someone always gets assigned this song, but David A. did a great rendition.

Randy Jackson - "... that was the best performance of the entire season... that was crazy hot"

Paula Abdul - "I still have chills on my arms... tonight is unbelievable"

Simon Cowell - " I thaought last week you were okay, tonight it was your best performance... round 1 goes to Archuleta"



Round 2 came in with the finalists singing song writer's choice, I'll have to fill in the names later, sorry.

David Cook - Dream Big by
This was interesting because the songs have never been recorded, so we get to finally see some originality (though with a ton of guidance, I'm sure). David Cook will definitely be a pop star in a Bon Jovi kind of way, though not that good.

Randy - "... the song was only ok, but you were singing your face off"

Paula - "...you made us fall in love with a new song"

Simon - "... the end was OK... it didn't feel like a winning moment... the good news is we have a 3rd song"



David Archuleta - In This Moment by
Again this was a better song choice than David Cook's song. Since they are being chosen for them, what's going on? I can feel the web burning with conspiracies.

Randy - "... you are in the zone... you can sing the phone book"

Paula - "... you are singing from the heart"

Simon - " ... I love the egotistical lyric... you definitely chose the better song... Round 2 - Archuleta"



Round 3

The last round is contestants choice of songs. David Cook led off with The World I Know by Collective Soul. I think he may definitely win this round. I love the song, but it starts kind of boring.
David Cook finally cried.

Randy - "... that was a nice song... very nice"

Paula - "... I truly applaud you"

Simon - "... I thought it was a nice song... but it was completely wrong, you should have sang Billy Jean"

David Cook responded with "this whole thing has been a progression for me... I figured why do something I've already done"



David Archuleta chose to repeat his version of John Lennon's Imagine. I thought this was a mistake, but based on Simon's comments it's the right choice. It was, of course flawless. I still wanted something else.

Randy - " ...dude you are so good tonight... the best singer of season 7 is right there"

Paula - "... you are what it's all about"

Simon - " ... this show is about finding a star... you came out here tonight to win, and what we have witnessed is a knockout"



Rueben Studdard closed the show with his single We Celebrate Me Home. Much better than the awful thing put on by Fantasia last week.



Well the judges are pretty slanted, but Paula is a slight hold out. I hope David Archuleta is the winner of American Idol Season 7, because he has worked the hardest. Not this season, necessarily, but for this goal in his life. He knows this is going to be his life, he has already trained and traveled and will continue no matter the outcome. The truth is, I hope David Archuleta wins so that AI controls him instead of his father. From what I hear and read, David Archuleta deserves this more.

Now go vote!

Need More American Idol - Click Here!





2 comments:

  1. Tonight was great!!! I'm a Huge fan of David Cook's and it didn't seam like the judges were in his favor, except paula of course... Either way there both great people and we'll see tomorrow who really wins.. >>>>>>VOTE DAVID COOK <<<<<<

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how a 17 year old can make chills go up my spine every time he sings. Last night was a knock out all the way for David Archuleta. This kid deserves to
    win.

    ReplyDelete