TV Review Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Marriage Ref: I didn't want to laugh, but.......

I had every intention of skipping Jerry Seinfeld's new comedy/game show "The Marriage Ref" on NBC. On a total Olympic burnout and feeling a little weirded out by the whole closing ceremonies, I found myself led into the half hour kick of of the "The Marriage Ref" on accident.

I had seen the previews and as soon as I saw Alec Baldwin, I was out. I really want to like him and I always end up liking him... I just don't want to like him. Now to have him as any sort of marriage counselor? I just didn't want to like him again.

Within five minutes I was laughing so hard, and hating myself. This is the most stupid funny show since Married With Children. Worse yet, it's real (so far).

The premise: A couple brings their argument to the panel of three celebs (Seinfeld and a revolving cast). The panel takes sides on the argument and the host makes jokes and tells the couple who the "winner" of the fight is. The person who wins gets a prize. The couples also get a prize at the end of the show just for sharing... and letting us laugh at them.

The first couple's argument: His dog died, and he had him stuffed... and he wants him in their living room. Her reaction, "I can't..I can't ...I can't ...no no no...." you get it. Keep in mind the dog had destroyed many couches and peed on guests. Not helping his own cause to stay forever in the home.

The host and ultimate ruler of "The Marriage Ref" is comedian Tom Papa, and is very funny in the role. Tonight's panel was Alec Baldwin, Kelly Rippa and Jerry Seinfeld. Sadly I laughed so hard at some of Alec Baldwin's comments... well just damn him!

Tom Papa also has access to an expert fact checker (aka hot chick behind a computer). He asked for the number of people who stuff their pets, the answer was about 1000. "I was hoping for him the numbers were going to be a lot higher than that," said Papa, "those are serial killer numbers."

Even though I will likely continue to watch "The Marriage Ref" on Thursday nights on NBC, I don't think it will last. Weird, I know. It will only take one slightly offensive remark by a celeb to down the panel. A likely move to Comedy Central may be in the future and a better fit. I hope I'm wrong!

The Marriage Ref
Copyright @ 2008 TV Review

1 comment: