TV Review Pages

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

AGT 2010: Judges' Comments for Week 2 of Live Semifinals



Tonight was the second week for live semifinalists on AGT 2010. Here is how the night went down and what the judges had to say about each act.

1. Alice Tan Riddley - Adult Singer
Tonight Alice Tan Ridley sang “I Have Nothing” with all the heart and soul of the best R&B singers wrapped up together. The audience stood for Alice, and I cheered at home. She gives me goosebumps.

Howie Mandel: “...you have touched the heart of a lot of people... I think that says it all...”

Sharon Osbourne: “...it’s been so long since I’ve heard that song sung that way...from one 57
year old to another, you look fabulous...”

Piers Morgan: “...for a first up tonight, incredibly strong performance...”

2. Haspop - Adult Dancer
I think this is the most talented dancer ever on AGT. Haspop’s moves are so big and exaggerated he can easily be seen and takes advantage of the stage. It was a weird dance tonight, but he still has pop (it had to be done). Piers Morgan buzzed him, huhph!

Howie Mandel: “...I disagree, I think it’s amazing... the ability to add story and mime at this level is great... people gotta vote...”

Sharon Osbourne: “...I just didn’t get it... I hope America votes for you...”

Piers Morgan: “...I didn’t really get it tonight... it was all a bit weird for me.. I might be the stupid one here, but I don’t think so...”
3.  Maestro Alexander Bui - Classical Pianist
This 16 year old is an amazing classical musician. He obviously loves playing too, his whole face lights up. He definitely picked an upbeat song tonight (“Bumble Boogie”). I’m not sure people understand how difficult the pieces of music he is performing are, this kid is awesome. Howie Mandel buzzed him, wow (well, no wow for Howie)

Howie Mandel: “...at this point in the competition, your talent is quite obvious... I feel like I’m at a piano recital, I wanna give you flowers.. I just don’t think it’s as good as some of the other acts...”

Sharon Osbourne: “...it was exciting, and you know you haven’t excited me in the past...”

Piers Morgan: “...you are a culture ignoramous Howie.... you’re one of the most brilliant performers we’ve have had and he buzzed you...”

4. Michael Lipari & Ashleigh Dejon: Aerial Dancers
I was really worried when this couple said they were taking the magic act and going back to drama. Well done though. This was a beautiful performance.

Howie Mandel: “...there was no safety harness, you were just hanging ... you could die... I’m a cultural ignoramous... I liked it...”

Sharon Osbourne: “...I thought the set looked very beautiful... it was a great set you just performed...”

Piers Morgan: “...there were no big tricks... there’s something about you two and the chemistry...I really liked the performance...”

5. Michael Grasso - Magician
Michael Grasso has had highs and lose on AGT this season. He told of his three kidney transplants... this guy has no pressure from AGT. He dedicated tonight’s performance to his family. I was not as impressed with this trick. It was too much like Murray’s last one and without the tiger. The judges loved it.

Howie Mandel: “...I don’t know what that’s like on TV, but live, wow..you’re great!”

Sharon Osbourne: “...I honestly don’t know what to say that was absolutely sensational...how on earth do you do that?”

Piers Morgan: “...you’re an interesting one... slowly but surely you’ve got things going with this act... you are becoming a world class magic act...”

6. Debra Romer - Adult Singer
Debra is the underdog of all underdogs. She carries herself that way, so it comes through her music. I like her, but she has to get some confidence. She actually sounded better tonight without her guitar. Singing “To Make You Feel My Love”, she looked gorgeous too. It was still too boring and safe though.

Howie Mandel: “...it was nice, it was really nice... maybe tonight is more about variety acts...”

Sharon Osbourne: “...lyrically it was a very beautiful song, but as far as it showing your vocal talent... it was a really weak choice...we want to see you light up this stage, and tonight you didn’t.”

Piers Morgan: “...I think we may have a new oger, don’t you Nick.... did that performance knock me out... I’m not sure...”

7. Studio One Young Beast Society - Adult Dance Group
This is my favorite dance group of this AGT this season. I’m hoping they can keep it as tough as they have so far... and I really wish they would shorten their name. Again tonight, as hot as ever. Another tight performance from this dance crew.

Howie Mandel: “...I agree completely.. if I have one negative, it’s your name...”

Sharon Osbourne: “...there’s a great urgency when you dance... it’s cutting edge, I love it... and I know know know the public are going to put you through...”

Piers Morgan: “...enjoy the applause...that is what entertaining is about isn’t it?... that is what you guys get when you put the hours in... each time better, faster...”

8. Jeremy Vanschoonhoven - Bike Trick Rider
Jerry explained that he knew Terry Vader from working small venues. Wow, didn’t see that happen. He took a very bad fall in practice and had to go to the hospital. He fell off one apparatus early and was obviously not as confident as usual. He kept it together and finished amazingly strong. He was obviously very sore from his early wreck. The judges stood for him.

Howie Mandel: “...Sharon sounds like she’s on a telethon ‘Just out of the hospital people, please vote!”...”

Sharon Osbourne: “...are you crazy... does your mother know you do this?... I told you before Evel Kneivel has nothing on you...I’m asking America to pick up the phone and vote for you...”

Piers Morgan: “...you know it takes a certain kind of nut case to fall off of that, and come back... you had a terrible start...but you’re a fighter...”

9. Nathaniel Kenyon - Adult Singer
Nate Kenyon is my least favorite singer in the group. He’s no Kristina Young, but he’s not great. Piers buzzed him, I was glad. He’s a decent singer, but this was not good enough.

Howie Mandel: “...the ladies love you, you’re good looking... it’s not as exciting as some of the acts... your mic technique is a little, you wer popping...”

Sharon Osbourne: “...I really do think the young girls are going to love you...”

Piers Morgan: “...tonight has been an incredible night... it was not your best performance..”

10. Murray - Magician
Murray has a history of competition with Michael Grasso. I like everything about Murray, so I hope he wins this one. Tonight he loaded two pre-selected audience members into a train... and made the whole thing disappear.

Howie Mandel: “...this is like an homage... I kind of agree with Piers, the presentation of it...” he then had to stop to laugh at the train sounds leaving the building.

Sharon Osbourne: “...I paid fortunes to see David Copperfield and I’ve never seen anything like that ...”

Piers Morgan: “...on the performances tonight, to me, Michael Grasso was better...”

11. Jackie Evancho - Young Opera Singer
Saving the obvious best for (almost)last, Jackie Evancho finally graced the AGT stage again. This ten year old is definitely the front runner this season. Standing on a box to be better seen, the audience was ready to stand for her before she started. Voice of an angel is all you can say about Miss Jackie Evancho. All three judges stood for her, again.

Howie Mandel: “...you are like an angel from another planet... I’ve never witnessed something like this... this is a great moment...”

Sharon Osbourne: “...I know you must realize how blessed you are to have been born with this amazing gift.. I hope you realize that your life willl never be the same again... this gift couldn’t have been given to a better child...”

Piers Morgan: “...Jackie this is why we do these shows... we have got in you a superstar...”

After the judges comments, all three rose to their feet again with the audience to give Jackie Evancho another standing ovation. It’s very cool to see something special happening right in front of you.

12. Fighting Gravity - Adult Dance Group
Only Fighting Gravity could follow Jackie Evancho... and follow they did. This time using props in their unique act. The lights stayed on and they were great.

Howie Mandel: “... I hope that people vote, you don’t deserve to go home...you deserve to stay all the way to the end...”

Sharon Osbourne: “...your act is so cool... you will pull in huge audiences because it’s so diverse...you guys are winners....”

Piers Morgan: “... I think Howie said it all... you are world class talent...”

So tonight was the night we’ve been waiting for on AGT 2010. This was definitely the toughest night of the season. Remember, five acts move on to the semifinals. Which acts do you think will move on tomorrow night? Let me know!

Don’t forget to go vote!






Copyright @ 2008 TV Review

No comments:

Post a Comment