TV Review Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

AGT 2010: Final 4 Perform for a Million Dollar Prize

Tonight the America’s Got Talent 2010 final four faced off for the title of “Best New Act in America”, and a million dollars. The final four are: Jackie Evancho, Prince Poppycock, Fighting Gravity and Michael Grimm.

I think Prince Poppycock and Jackie Evancho lead the talent area, but all four acts have huge followings so it’s anybody’s contest.

1. Prince Poppycock - Opera singer
What can you say about Poppycock? I don’t think he will run away with this contest. I think he’s good and verging on great, and perfect for Vegas. I’m just not sure he can pull the young votes needed to win. Tonight will have to be amazing in the first position. He went back to his original opera. I think it was a good choice. The costume screamed Vegas, of course. It was a little boring, especially by Prince Poppycock standards. Piers Morgan buzzed him, wow.


Howie Mandel: “...it was still brilliant...will America embrace a more serious performance... you gotta vote....”

Sharon Osbourne: “...that was such a selfish thing to do [to Piers]... it’s not your night, it’s Prince Poppycock’s....on final night...”

Piers Morgan: “...I think you’ve blown it, I’m afraid... I was watching it thinking what’s going on here... it had lost its fun... taking yourself too seriously... this didn’t make me smile...it was self indulgent...”

See for yourself:

 
2. Michael Grimm - Adult singer
I’ve grown tired of Michael Grimm. I love his voice, but his sad sack attitude grinds on my last nerve. Act like a winner and you might win, sheesh. He pulled out the big guns tonight with “When a Man Loves a Woman”, and went back to the guitar and fedora. This is the Michael Grimm I enjoy. If he could be as confident in his life as he looks on stage. In that way he is the polar opposite of most of the AGT contestants.

Howie Mandel: “...you keep getting better and better... and I predict tomorrow night on this show, Ozzy Osbourne is $100 richer...”

Sharon Osbourne: “...got the old goose bumps going here... perfect song, perfect delivery ...and I have to tell you Michael, my husband’s bet $100 that you will win and he might be right...”

Piers Morgan: “...the reason I did what I did to the last contestant is I’m looking for a million dollar performance...I’m looking for an act to represent America... and you can do it!”

See for yourself:


3. Jackie Evancho - Young opera singer
The ten year old prodigy returns to the AGT stage for her final live performance in front of the judges. We can all thank YouTube for this little gem. Tonight she finished her AGT appearances with “Ava Maria”, the one we’d (or at least I) have been waiting for... well worth it.

Howie Mandel: “... it’s indescribable... I think right before you die, you hear Jackie Evancho sing....NO, I mean death in a good way! Talk to somebody else!”

Sharon Osbourne: “... you’re like a little angel... I know how hard technically that song is to sing... what can I say, little angel...”

Piers Morgan: “...the bad news for Sharon is that Ozzy Osbourne just lost $100... the point of this show is to find undiscovered talent.. I have never ever seen an act in the world like Jackie Evancho...that was perfection...”

See for yourself:



There was a break in the action while the other variety acts of the season took the America’s Got Talent stage one more time for a group number. It could have been lame....but it was actually very good. Michael Lipari and Ashleigh Dejon showed why they would have been a great act in the finals. If they had done that in the season, they may have made it. All on stage were: Michael Grasso, Anna & Patryk, Harmonica Pierre, SOBYS, Michael & Ashleigh.

4. Fighting Gravity - variety act
The VA Tech boys took the stage for the final performance last tonight. This is the best possible outcome for them on draws, it’s always best to close the show big. This was definitely their best performance and may just earn them a win. There was a millisecond at the end where the lights from the back came through, not sure if the door got caught, Piers definitely noticed it. It was a little like Jackie Evancho’s missed note at the end a few weeks back. I doubt it will win or lose the contest for Fighting Gravity. They really leaned toward the Blue Man Group tonight, verging on 'borrowing' the persona. It was still fun to watch. I’d pay for it.

Howie Mandel: “...there are many shows that have singers and dancers, but it’s the variety... people please vote... if you want to keep your people here, please vote...”

Sharon Osbourne: “...well isn’t it a good thing it’s not up to him... it’s up to the public and I’m sure they will see what we see... America will vote, you will see...”

Piers Morgan: “...enjoy the moment... this is a brilliantly clever act...this will be in Vegas, whatever happens tonight... you made one bad mistake at the end...and in that moment some of the magic was lost...”

See for yourself:


So we know where Piers Morgan stands on the winner of America’s Got Talent 2010... Jackie Evancho hands down. I would agree... if only the votes were based on talent alone. No, it becomes a popularity contest at this point. All four acts are popular and rightfully so.

I see it coming down this way:
4th: Michael Grimm
3rd: Prince Poppycock
2nd: Jackie Evancho
1st: Fighting Gravity

This is a complete guess (obviously). How do you think the final 4 on AGT did tonight? Who are you voting for and why?

Remember the winner is announced tomorrow night (Wednesday) at 8/7c on NBC. See you there!

Copyright @ 2008 TV Review

3 comments:

  1. I think what Piers Morgan did tonight (buzzing Prince Poppycock and his nasty comments), was inexcusable. There are many people who have followed this show for weeks and believe that they have an opportunity to select the final winner based on talent. How disappointing that in the final round of competition, one of the judges so obviously tries to throw the competition in the direction of his personal favorite rather than act with integrity and respect toward all of the performers. Prince Poppycock (nor any of them) did not deserve to be treated in this manner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think he did it to be personal, it's all just business to him. I was quite surprised and would not have done it myself, but Piers is Piers.

    I honestly think he would have done the same on any of them that were sub par and Prince Poppycock was not himself tonight. So I sort of agree with you (that it was rude), but it's to be expected from Piers, lol.
    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Viewers need to let NBC executives know how disgusted we are with Piers for buzzing PP during his performance. NOBODY should be buzzed during the Final 4 or even Top 10. They have earned the right to let America see their performances without interruption.

    Other people have wisely mentioned using the contact NBC link to send an e-mail

    http://www.nbc.com/contact/general

    In addition to writing on these boards and sending an e-mail via the link, you should
    call NBC:

    212-664-4444

    This is the NBC switchboard. I called and asked for a number to leave a comment on one of their shows / the nice lady who answered put me through to a viewer comment answering line.

    NBC executives need to know that we expect Piers to apologize to PP and to the audience for interrupting and ruining that performance.

    ReplyDelete